Scream Asia Horror Short Film Competition ("the Competition") is organised by mm2 Entertainment and Cathay Cineplexes ("the Organisers").
The Organisers have final say in any and all disputes regarding entries and submissions. Should any finalist or winner fail to comply throughout the competition with the requirements set forth above, the Organisers may require the offending party to forfeit and/or repay any such award. Guidelines and rules for the competitions are subjected to change at any time within the scope of Scream Asia Horror Short Film Competition.
- The competition is open to any applicants that have residency or citizenship to any Asian countries. Clear indication of applicant’s citizenship or residence must be provided in the online submission form on the Scream Asia 2019 website (www.screamasia.com).
- Applicants may be registered as an individual (director) or as a pair (director and producer). There can be no more than two individuals named per registration.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years old as of 17 June 2019.
- Applicants are required to register online by completing the form on the Scream Asia 2019 Website (www.screamasia.com), before submitting their films. Successful registrations will receive an email acknowledgement from the Organisers.
- Applicants can only submit their films upon successful registration. Any submission without a corresponding registration will be disqualified.
- Submitted films must be originally produced in high definition (HD) quality, and incorporate the theme “Horror” in order to be eligible for this competition. Participants may wish to refer to the judging criteria as a guide.
- Submitted films must adhere to the given theme and be no longer than 15 minutes in duration (including opening and end credits).
- All films must be submitted by 19 September 2019, 23:59 hrs. Films that are submitted after 19 September 2019, 23:59 hrs will not be considered for the competition.
- All non-English submissions must be subtitled in English.
- Each team is responsible for providing its own funding, equipment and facilities when producing its film(s).
- Submitted films may only contain acquired material (e.g. music, images, archival footage, etc) if the participants have the legal rights to the acquired material’s use, distribution, and commercialization. Furthermore, the participants must be able to grant the acquired materials’ rights to the Organisers for use in any way connected with the Competition in areas of marketing / promotional purposes.
- Participants must submit the unlisted YouTube link to their entries by completing the submission form on the Scream Asia 2019 website (www.screamasia.com). Please enable the Download function of the unlisted link, and ensure that the link is accessible to the organisers until 26 Oct 2019. Public Youtube links will be disqualified.
- The format of the submitted film title should be "[FILM TITLE] - Scream Asia 2019". Only entries with complete and accurate information will be eligible for entry in the Competition. Registrations with incomplete or invalid details will be disqualified.
- Submitted films must be originally made within the past 12 months as of 19 September 2019.
- The submission should not be used to promote or advertise any commercial product or event, nor must it contain, or be connected with, any obscene, blasphemous, libelous, offensive, pornographic or otherwise unlawful or inappropriate material or activity. The Organisers reserve the right to disqualify entries and remove submissions that contain, or are connected with, any such material or activity, without prejudice to any other action that may be taken in connection with such submission.
- The Organisers reserve the right to remove or disqualify any submission which breaches the law, including provisions of the Copyright Act.
- Participants are encouraged to submit a trailer (no longer than 1.5 minutes) and “behind-the-scenes” footage (no longer than 3 minutes), for an opportunity to be featured on marketing collaterals for Scream Asia 2019. Participants can submit a download link to their trailer or/and “behind-the scenes” footage, together with the submitted film in the same online submission form on Scream Asia 2019 website (www.screamasia.com). Please note that the trailer and “behind-the-scenes” footage will not be considered for any prizes.
- If your film is shortlisted as a Top 15 finalist entry, you are required to send in an editable high-resolution digital file of the film online (Google Drive, WeTransfer or DropBox) or on a hard disk/thumb drive in the following format:
Codec: Apple ProRes 422 HQ or H.264
Bitrate: 5 mbps minimum
Container Format: .MOV (Mac) or .MP4
- If the submission contains subtitles, participants are required to send both a clean version and a version with English subtitles with the above specifications.
- The film file must be clearly labelled as "[FILM TITLE] - [Director’s Name]".
- The participant will receive an email acknowledgement within 3 working days upon successful submission of the shortlisted films.
- The Organisers will not be responsible for any loss, damage or misplacement of entries before or during delivery. Proof of postage shall not be accepted as proof of delivery.
- All submissions are non-returnable.
The Organisers reserve the right to:
- disqualify any entry that is deemed to contain any undesirable material,
- edit any entry with the intention to fine-tune the technical quality, without altering the story or intent of the participants for the purposes of broadcast, and/or
- use the shortlisted entries for any publicity and marketing purposes.
The filmmakers will retain the copyright to any of their works. Due credit will be accorded to the relevant filmmakers should the Organisers use their films.